03 May Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey honors our 30th Anniversary in the Congressional Record.
Posted at 02:47h in News
HONORING THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF 10,000 DEGREES
(Extensions of Remarks – May 02, 2011)
[Page: E769] GPO's PDF
- Ms. WOOLSEY. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to recognize the 30th anniversary of 10,000 Degrees, a unique Marin County nonprofit formed to connect low-income students with the resources necessary to make their college dreams a reality. Established on the principle that educational equity is both the foundation and the responsibility of a strong community, 10,000 Degrees has already made an invaluable contribution to the future of Marin County.
- Originally known as Marin Education Fund, 10,000 Degrees targets youth of all ages to ensure that their image of a college education is one of possibility. No one should be denied the opportunity to excel in school simply because of personal or financial circumstances, and no society can afford to squander the talent and ambition of its young people simply because they are allowed to question their future.
- 10,000 Degrees offers programs to empower our students. For those in elementary or middle school, it makes introductions to local college campuses and to positive role models pursuing higher education. For those in high school, it offers scholarships, financial aid training, and a number of intensive college preparation and mentorship seminars that set students on the path to college.
- In keeping with its commitment to equity, 10,000 Degrees is particularly effective in targeting those students most at risk of leaving the educational system. It tailors programs to low-income and first-generation graduates, building linkages between peers struggling with the same barriers to success, and earning an enviable track record in the process. Every one of the students in its mentorship program has graduated high school, 98 percent have enrolled in college, and 84 percent have graduated.
- Mr. Speaker, I ask you to join me in congratulating 10,000 Degrees on its 30th anniversary in Marin. It is organizations such as these that strengthen and enrich our county, and we are grateful to them for their passion, their expertise, and their dedication to our community.
Link to the Congressional Record: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r112:E02MY1-0012: