BECOME A 10,000 DEGREES CHANGEMAKER! Make a difference that endures. Learn More!

Monthly Memo, November 2018

College Success Scholarship Push

The entire College Success team is hard at work calling, texting, emailing, social media messaging, and scheduling in-person meetings with all 10,000 Degrees scholarship students to ensure they receive their Fall 2018 checks. Students must also confirm their current enrollment status. Did you know? 10,000 Degrees benchmark for scholarship receipt each semester is 85%. We also make a special effort to stay in contact with the remaining 15%. Keep up the good work!

Scholarship + Success Workshop

College Success Manager, Tania Requenes and her sister, former Scholarship Manager (now Development Associate), Yessenia Dominguez co-presented at the National Scholarship Providers Association annual conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Their workshop on “Best Practices for Combining Scholarships Plus Success Programming” was a huge hit. In fact, NSPA asked 10,000 Degrees to make multiple presentations next year. Great teamwork!

San Francisco Team in Action

Our work continues to ramp up in San Francisco! Program Manager Saga Apostol and Fellow Ana Anguiano recently presented the “College Roadmap” to Balboa High School students. At Thurgood Marshall and Ida B. Wells High Schools, Fellow Jose Jimenez is helping students complete their financial aid forms, while Fellow Noemi Garibay assisted 120 students and their families at Burton High School’s Student and Family Success Night. Wow! Way to go!

Student Financial Aid Frenzy!

10,000 Degrees “Cash for College” events hosted at several high schools in Sonoma County have been well-attended and full of excited students eager to learn how to leverage the most free financial aid available to get to and through college. Since the application window opened on October 1, for the 2019-20 academic year, over 80% of all 10,000 Degrees Institute students (high school seniors) have completed their FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.

New Academic Success Volunteers

10,000 Degrees Academic Support continues to grow to serve even more students in Marin County schools, primarily students in Title I public schools in four districts: Novato, Sausalito Marin City, San Rafael, and Shoreline. Academic Support Manager Judy Kramer along with her team of coordinators Doug Brown, Amy Carrera, Debra Fletcher, Monica Golden and Sherry Manis recently onboarded 40 new adult volunteers, now totaling more than 300!